Saturday, December 25, 2010

What's Up?

There is something to be said for a man’s height in this world. Most of my life, I have been looking “up”. As a child, I naturally looked “up” to my parents, relatives, teachers, et al.. During the course of my life I have found myself at a couple of different jobs, and while sometimes I may have held responsible positions, it seems that unvaryingly my superiors were, well “superior”. Yes, they were all 6 feet ”plus”. While I don’t consider myself to be in the “little people” category, my huge 5 feet 8 ½ inch presence would only be considered “average” say, 200 years ago. Hell, back then I could have picked Betsy Ross up with one hand, while leaning on George W.’s shoulder. I always looked “up” to a tradesman for his ability to build or repair, until I learned to do it myself, or a police officer, until I became one. I have done enough in my lifetime to see eye to eye with a Doctor or Lawyer, a priest or a golf-pro, for I, after all, can do things that they are unable to do. Still, for me, some things are unattainable.


Take the formidable stature of Sonny Liston. At 6 feet 1½ inches, Liston had a disproportionately long reach of 84 inches. Hey, 84 inches is 7 feet!!! Not to mention a 15” fist! 15 inches goes from the tip of my chin to the middle of my “skull cap”. Liston was a professional boxer and ex-convict known for his toughness, punching power and intimidating appearance. He became world heavyweight champion in 1962 by knocking out Floyd Patterson in the first round. That was no easy feat! Liston, of course, had his comeuppance against the “Rope-a-dope” King, himself, Cassius Clay. Did he take a dive? Another story. But do people look “up” to him? Sure they do.

I once stood after having lunch in a Wall Street diner seated next to another man at the counter. We rose simultaneously, and as I turned, I faced toward him and found myself at eye level with his belt. Scary!

Does size matter? You bet yer’ ass it does, we’re not talking about your shorts here, we’re talking stature. People today are just bigger than they were when I grew up, and that was not long ago as evidenced by my being alive at this writing, … just checking to see if you are. In my own family, my older brother is ½” shorter than I. But who’s counting? I always wore a “medium” of almost anything. My 3 younger brothers were, “large”, “extra-large” and the youngest, “double-extra-large”. My mother had to admit that in her many years of nursing, 7 of us, she had seen several changes in “formula” for feeding babies. Apparently, newer formulas (ae) contained more growth vitamins, etc..

A few years back, my mother deciced that the dilapidated garage door needed to be replaced, and contacted a contractor (say that 5 times, fast!) to do the job. My youngest sib’ decided to do some demolition himself. The mechanic arrived and, walking up the driveway, spotted “Danny”, ripping the garage door sections off their tracks over his head, and folding them up like an accordion. Hey, it was a 2-car garage. The man spoke to my mother at the door and asked, “Who is that?” Mom replied that it is her son. He said, “What do you feed ‘im, gorilla biscuits?” “I send 4 Puerto Ricans to do that job.” Well, that’s New York! Dan’s one guy I look up to, for several reasons of my own, and my older (little) brother, well, I look up to him to!

It is a certainty that taller men have an advantage. Think I’m wrong? Ask any corporate “head-hunter”. Say you had to hire 3 men to start as salesmen for your company, tomorrow. In front of you stand 6 men, 3 of average height with MBAs and 3, 6’2”ers with BAs. Who do you hire? No answer required.



Ad: Male, 21, 5’9”, looking to work for the Secret Service.

Reply: How well do you type?

Did you know that you can look up and look down at the same time? Sure, find a tall guy to whom you wouldn’t give the right time of day, or a short guy, who you hold in esteem!

So, I guess what I’m saying is that, it’s not who you are so much as who you look up to, and who looks up to you.

A few years ago, I met a man at coffee, and we’ve been meeting at coffee, 6 days a week ever since. I’ve grown rather fond of him from a man’s perspective. He has become my friend, and I his. Quite frankly, he’s one of the best men I’ve ever known. As a matter of fact he acted as “Best Man” at my recent wedding.

I look up to him.

Not just because he’s tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment