Monday, July 19, 2010

The Lord Giveth …

Satan arrived in spats, doing his best Groucho imitation. "You're obscene", I cried. The Devil laughed me aside, working his way into the crowd, suckering them into his comic routine. Unwillingly, I had to admit, he was a class act. He was looking for the deal. He always did. That was all he was interested in, the deal. Once he got your handshake, it was forever. No one escaped, except for me. We made a bet on the deal. He lost. I know, you're thinking it's bull! That never happened! "Trust me, Bozo, a deal's a deal."




When you mess with this guy, you mess with the best. "When you mess with the best, you die like the rest." That was his game, a lifetime deal. You would live the life of a king. Omniscience, omnipotence, infallibility, you had it all. There was no stopping you. Or, so you thought. You, unfortunately, were not immortal. Another bit of chicanery began like this, "Pick a number from one to one million". You have just named your own destiny. It was the number of years you had left. If you were high or low, it didn't matter. Either way, you lost. Sure, now laugh. Tell him you want to pick another number. Then he'll laugh. Stop thinking about it. Start planning your party. You can be anything you want, except immortal. Have the time of your life … until it's over.



I know why I'm still around. He keeps me going even though he lost. I will live forever. Damn it! He screwed me anyway. I'll never find eternal rest. All my family and friends will be gone. What is life worth? I have everything … but, I have nothing. All is gone. There are no guarantees with him. He'll screw you at every turn. You have to be one step ahead, and I thought I was. After all, I won the bet. Or did I? Didn't I have it all? Where did it go?
                                                                           ... and the Lord taketh ... .

No comments:

Post a Comment