Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Last Turn

Friday, another 16 hour day.
Yeah, it was a long day and it'll be a longer drive home.
Back at my motel room, I grab my thermos of coffee, smokes and a left over bologna sandwich, for the 6 hour trip.
It's one "cold-assed" night, my heaters busted, and the only thing keeping me awake is the smell of coffee and cigarettes.
It's 2 o'clock in the morning and not even a hitchhiker in sight.
Enough of the damned "talk-radio", there must be music on here.
Ah, yes, a station that plays "everything from 'rock to rhumba' and back again", ought to keep me going.
Pushing the speed limit for a few minutes pays off, and I have tail lights to follow.
A few cars ahead now, 2 lanes, pitch black and I'm not about to pass anybody.
Some pretty music comes on…almost like a lullabye…I picture a cradle…going left and right and left and right and… .
I overhear the driver who was in the car behind me, as I'm loaded into the ambulance, telling the police "…the woman… in the red car…on the cellphone…going left and right and left and right and…

No comments:

Post a Comment